Hawley, Kaufman & Kautzer, S.C. Blog

Blog Authors

Latest from Hawley, Kaufman & Kautzer, S.C. Blog

In Wisconsin, your child has the right to deny you placement or visitation with your grandchild absent a court order requiring visitation or placement. You, as the grandparent, have the right to petition the state courts for relief. When determining whether placement or visitation is appropriate, a court will look at whether the grandparent will

Child support is generally ordered pursuant to the guidelines provided for in the governing statutes. Courts may deviate from these guidelines if it finds that the guidelines amount would be unfair. The court makes the fairness determination after evaluating the fifteen fairness factors. It is important for litigants to be prepared ahead of any request

The Wisconsin Administrative Code pertaining to child support guidelines was updated effective January 1, 2024. The code chapter, specifically Department of Child and Families Chapter 150 (DCF 150), was updated to clarify when and how equivalent care should be applied when calculating child support. Child support is the obligation to support a child financially. Support

Unfortunately, there are times when one party withholds placement of a child. There a can be many reasons or motivations for a party to withhold placement from the other parent. Regardless of the reason, the party who has had their placement denied, withheld or interfered with may file a motion with the court to have

A temporary order in a divorce proceeding is especially helpful when there are contested issues. Think of a temporary order as the “rules of the game” during a divorce proceeding. Aside from limited situations, the soonest a divorce judgment may be granted is 120 days after service or filing a joint petition. A lot can

You might hear of people who are legally separated and wonder how that is different from simply being divorced. In Wisconsin, legal separations and divorces share a similar legal process, but the end result is differently. For example, in both cases the parties have to file petitions with the court. The court cannot enter a

Parental rights are among the most sacred and protected rights. There are instances, however, when the rights of parents may be terminated, sometimes stemming from removal of the child from the home involving child protective services. Additionally, there are instances when only one parent’s rights are terminated, preserving the other’s parental rights. This is typically

A Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDROs) is a court order that divides an individual’s retirement plans between themselves and their former spouse. The order is presented to the plan administrator and instructs how the plan should be divided between the member and the member’s spouse, often referred to a “alternate payee”. The QDRO is required